Tuesday, December 28, 2010


I just finished reading a fabulous book – Happy for No Reason – 7 Steps to Being Happy from the
Inside Out by Marci Shimoff. I heard Marci speak at the eWomenNetwork Conference in Dallas last
month and loved her presentation.
Six years ago (August 2, 2002) I took early retirement from my public relations job with the Social
Security Administration and founded Money Wise Women. I was inspired to take early retirement
after reading two quotes:
“You gain strength, courage & confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in
the face. You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” Eleanor Roosevelt

“Our purpose in life is to find our gift, perfect it and give it back to others.” Unknown

I’ve always been a happy person, but my decision to step outside my comfort zone six years ago
created a happiness in my heart, spirit and soul. Today I’m living a life of prosperity, which I describe
as a life I love without worrying about financial constraints.
Are you ready to live a life of prosperity and happiness? If so, I recommend you begin by reading
Happy for No Reason.
Marci Shimoff interviewed 100 people whom she refers to as the Happy 100. Their qualities included:
• Having a sense of lightness or buoyancy
• Feeling alive, vital, energetic
• Having a sense of flow, openness
• Feeling love and compassion for yourself and others
• Having passion about your life and purpose
• Feeling gratitude, forgiveness • Feeling gratitude, forgiveness
• Being at peace with live
• Being full present in the moment
Happy for No Reason discusses the seven steps to being happy from the inside out. Step 1 is Taking
Ownership of Your Happiness. Begin by ridding yourself of the happiness robbers – complaining,
blaming and feeling shame. Know that it’s never too late to kick these robbers out of your life. The
three happiness habits for empowerment are (1) Focus on the solution, (2) Look for the lesson and
the gift, and (3) Make peace with yourself.
I’ve always believed that everything happens in life for a reason, and there are lessons to be learned
from every situation–good or bad. I always ask myself: What’s the lesson to be learned from this
situation? 
Step 3 of being happy for no reason is Let Love Lead. The three happiness habits are (1) Focus on
gratitude, (2) Practice forgiveness, and (3) Spread loving kindness.